We were suppose to have both English and Velveteen lops babies but Pokerface apparently is on strike for the winter and will be revered in a few weeks. So no English babies for awhile. Breeding winter always poses more challenges. Vandy and Kinsley are both mew moms. Vandy had 8 kits which is quite a few for a rabbit her size! Kinsley had four which is a much more manageable number. Vandy decided not to feed hers and I managed to foster 3 from her litter to Kinsleys litter before I lost them all. A tri, broken chestnut and broken orange were saved. I didn’t dare to foster any more as Kinsley is now already nursing 7. She’s been a good momma and I’m sure Vandy will. Get the hang of it the next time around. It’s typical to lose a litter with newer moms. I’ve included some pics below of the babies and also an awesome selfie of me in my carharts. We are getting so much snow! You can also see where Vandy decided to make her own burrow in the hay instead of using the nest box. For the upcoming month I will be rebreeding Pokerface and Vandy. I will also be breeding Coco, a chocolate velveteen lop. Continue reading
Had to do some snow pushin’ this morning due to the 8″ we got overnight in upstate NY. How much snow did everyone else get?! I love snow though, makes the beauty of winter really come out. As you can see as well we are expecting a few litters next week, 2 Velveteen lop does are bred as well as 1 English Lop (although I don’t think she is pregnant). Kinsley and Vandy are both first time moms so we will see how they do. Smooch really set the bar high already this year with her first litter. All but one of those babies are in their new homes. Bas (broken black buck) is still available. He is currently in the house as an indoor rabbit and is soooo good already with his litterbox! I would recommend him for a pet above anything but he still shows promising type as a show rabbit. I’ll be figuring out the show schedule for this year as well. I will be going to one in PA and also a few in NY.
Thanks to the storm Hercules we are freezing our buns in the East Coast. With temperatures at 0 or below I get many questions not only about the English Lops and their long ears in the winter time, but about rabbits living in the cold in general. Here are some top myths about bunnies and cold temperatures.
1. MY RABBITS’ (especially my long-eared English Lops) EARS WILL FREEZE OR GET FROSTBITTEN IF THEY ARE KEPT IN FREEZING TEMPERATURES.
Your rabbits ears will be fine in cold weather as long as they stay dry. This means cage hygiene is a must. Water should be kept in a heated water bottle or in a dish that is off the floor so ears can’t be dragged in the water bowl. My shed is kept warm enough during the winter months so I don’t have to deal with frozen water (what a pain!!). I always have hay and dry shavings on my cage floors so wet litter should be always be changed daily. I use litter boxes in my cages as well to make keeping cages clean and cleaning in general much easier.
2. RABBITS CANNOT LIVE OUTSIDE IN COLD TEMPERATURES.
Rabbits are actually better equipped for cold temperatures rather than hot. As far as weather goes, I worry much more when temperatures are over 80 rather than in the negatives. As long as the rabbit has a wind-proof hutch adequately bedded with lots of hay or straw they will be okay. Obviously extreme temperatures of -20 or more than different measures may be needed (slightly heated barn). Rabbits will need more energy when living in these temperatures and free access to unfrozen water as they will drink more as well. I free feed my rabbits in the winter with quality Timothy hay and an 18% protein rabbit pellet. I only cut back on pellets if they are getting chubby (I never cut back on hay). My barn stays between 30-40 degrees during the winter so their water bottles don’t freeze.
The newest Velveteen Lop litter has now listed sale prices. I’m really pleased with the ears on this litter. Please email me or facebook me at Bella’s Bunnies Rabbitry to inquire about any available listed for sale. I’m not accepting deposits through Paypal (1/2 the listed price) at email@example.com. I’ve already had a few people message me so I think they will go fast. They will be ready for new homes the 2nd week of January!
Check out their page if you’re interested: Velveteen Lop babies. I’ll be updating with updated pics of them this weekend. They are a very cute and curious litter in general. We will be breeding more Velveteens and English in the spring once it warms up a bit Have a lovely new year.
National Convention came and went in October. While I didn’t end up showing due to work related reasons (making a living really gets in the way sometimes!), I did go down for a day trip just to check it out. From keeping up with everything the Velveteen Lops had a good exhibition group as well as the English Lops. I received an award for the 5th top exhibitor in show points overall for Velveteen Lops this year from the VLRCA. I got a very lovely engraved plate and I love it! I did come home with some extra stock from that weekend. A chocolate chinchilla English Lop buck named Remington from Rebecca’s Rabbitry in Washington, a tri-color doe from Classic City Rabbitry in Georgia (with chocolate background) and a chocolate doe from Hops N Lops farm in Connecticut. The chocolate doe has our lines in it through the sire, Bella’s Bunnies Sherlock Holmes. The rabbits have all settled in nicely since then and I’m really enjoying the new additions.
Bella’s Bunnies Smooches did have her first litter of velveteen lop babies. She had 5 little ones and is being an excellent mother so far….must be taking after her momma, Tiger Lily. These babies will be 8 weeks around the beginning of January. Keep updated on the facebook page or this website’s nestbox page for future availability.
I do currently have one velveteen lop doe for sale, Bella’s Bunnies Rose whom I am very pleased with as a show rabbit I’m going to let go. She would make a great addition to anyone’s breeding program. Check her out on the for sale page. I may go to a show this weekend in Fulton, NY but still undecided. I’ve been itching to show though so we will see! Any rabbits for sale (I do have a few more I may be willing to part with) can be transported to the show for free.
In recent news I am currently expecting to be the owner of a chocolate chestnut English Lop. This is an extremely rare color, more rare to even find one in a nice-typed rabbit! Luckily, Remington has both and I’ll be picking him up in October at the National ARBA Convention (he gets to drive all the way from Washington state!). Hopefully we will get some cocoa, lynx or lilac babies out of him with nice ear and type. You can see a few pics of him below!
Just added a new English Lop blue doe as well from Opal Meadows Farm. She is a descendant of a doe of my lines that was bred to a buck originally from Delightful Darlings Rabbitry…one of the top winners in the country right now. Her name is Mattie, and she is just a little thing right now. I’ll post some updated pics of her later. She is such a sweetheart and I want to thank Kim for letting me take her home!
I plan on showing at the Cobleskill show in September and I’ll be bringing some Velveteens I think to National Convention (probably only 1 or 2). My English Lop lines just don’t have the beefiness yet to compete at that level but it will be fun to see some of the top rabbits in the country! I’ll be helping out at the Velveteen Lop Club of America booth as well as the Lop booth.
Things are starting to get chilly here at night again as a reminder that Fall and Winter aren’t that far away. I’ll be doing quite a few breedings this Fall before it gets really cold. I have lots of Velveteen Lop does to be bred and I will rebreed Pokerface to Frost for some more English Lop babies. Their last litter was turning out nicely and I was sad when I lost them to coccida.
Just a quick hello and post since I’ve been quite busy here. Just an update we will be breeding again here shortly, mainly Velveteen Lops and 1 English breeding. Message me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be put on a waiting list.
Since summer was officially here its been warming up quite a bit across the nation. I wrote a post about heatstroke in rabbits awhile back that is worth re-mentioning since I’ve had some questions on it lately. When the temperatures get above 90F the best thing to do for rabbits housed outdoors is to bring them inside (if you don’t have a cooled barn). Otherwise the rabbits are VERY susceptible to heat stroke. Once they show the signs of it most likely you will lose them. You can put the rabbits back in their cages at night once the temperature starts to dip. Always make sure they have fresh water. Please take a gander at the post and shoot me any questions if needed. Prevention is key here.